Friday, August 19, 2005

Genocide suspect flown to Hague A Rwandan accused of playing a leading role in the 1994 genocide has been transferred to the Netherlands.
Michel Bagaragaza pleaded not guilty to genocide charges earlier this week after handing himself in to the international tribunal in Tanzania.
The tribunal said he was sent to The Hague because of security concerns.
He is accused of using his position as head of Rwanda's crucial tea industry to help Hutu militias who killed hundreds of Tutsi civilians.
An estimated 800,000 Tutsis and moderate Hutus were killed during the genocide.
The transfer to The Hague was a condition for Mr Bagaragaza's surrender, said a statement released by the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda, based in Arusha.
Mr Bagaragaza, 60, is accused of working with tea factory workers to kill Tutsis who had sought refuge in the north-western Gisenyi region.
Tea is one of Rwanda's major export earners.
He was seen as being close to Rwandan President Juvenal Habyarimana, whose death in a plane crash on 6 April, 1994, sparked the 100-day massacres.
Story from BBC NEWS:http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/africa/4166662.stmPublished: 2005/08/19 14:26:01 GMT© BBC MMV

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home